Primed Medcentre is a health facility located in Bryanston, Johannesburg. Our focus is on giving patients the best clinical experience. All our patients are treated as individuals to find the underlying cause of the health problem.
Dr Muwanguzi is the general practitioner at Primed Medcentre, he possesses a wide range of medical and surgical knowledge, specializing in preventive medicine, and caring for chronic diseases.
What services does Primed Medcentre offer?:
Chronic back pain
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Fibromyalgia is a common chronic disorder affecting the bones and muscles and causes bodily pains, fatigue, memory and mood issues.
What causes Fibromyalgia?
The cause of Fibromyalgia is not yet confirmed but it has to do with how the brain and spinal cord process the pain signals from your nervous system.
How we treat Fibromyalgia
Treating Fibromyalgia depending on what type of symptoms you’re experiencing, Dr Muwanguzi will provide the following:
- Anti-seizure drugs- drugs such as Neurontin and Lyrica will be prescribed and it’ll help reduce symptoms of fibromyalgia.
- Occupational therapy – this the therapy that is recommended to assist in making adjustments to your work environment or your overall work performance, which may help to cause less stress to your body.
- Physical therapy – this therapy is recommended to help assist in learning new exercises which will help to improve your strength, flexibility and stamina. Water-based exercises are also helpful.
- Antidepressants – drugs such as duloxetine and milnacipran may be prescribed to help relieve pain and fatigue that may be caused by fibromyalgia. Amitriptyline or muscle relaxants may also be prescribed to help promote sleep.
- Pain relievers – drugs such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium will be prescribed to help ease the pain.
An experience on the lower back pain that lasts over 3 months is called chronic back pain, It’s a bit hard to determine the source of the pain.
What causes chronic back pain?
Chronic back pain can be caused by several things like osteoarthritis of rheumatism which is a disease that affects the cartilage which cushions and prevents joint pain. As we grow older, the cartilage starts wearing away causing pain and stiffness. Other causes are slipped discs, spine fracture, tumour, kidney stones and kidney infections.
How we treat chronic back pain
Treating chronic back pain Depending on your condition which will be determined after the examination. Dr Muwanguzi will recommend:
- Medication – the doctor may prescribe analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants and other medication may be prescribed to help manage chronic back pain
- Injection based treatments – nerve blocks, epidural steroid injections and other types of injections may be recommended to ease the pain. These are only administered when the location of the pain is known.
- Physical therapy- exercise is found to be the foundation of chronic back pain treatment, given that they are tailored for your specific symptoms and condition.
Chronic headache is a descriptive term which applies to different types of headaches. If you are experiencing headaches constantly, like 15 days in a month it is said to be chronic headaches.
There are different types of headaches, namely:
~ Tension headaches- this feels like a band has been tightened and placed around your head.
~ Migraines- when you feel an intense throbbing headache which occurs on both sides of the head.
~ Cluster headaches- when you experience on and off severe pain on one side of the head over a period of weeks and months.
~ Hemicrania continua- this feels like a migraine but occurs on one side of the head.
What causes chronic headaches?
Although chronic headache causes are not yet defined as it is vast, there are some possible causes which are:
- Muscle tension on the head and neck.
- When there are changes in certain hormones, like serotonin and estrogen.
How Dr Muwanguzi treats chronic headaches
Dr Muwanguzi may recommend rest and pain relief medication to help treat chronic headaches. He may prescribe pain medication such as tricyclic antidepressants, serotonin receptor agonists, anti-epileptic drugs and beta-blockers to treat and prevent chronic headaches.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which is sometimes known as CFS, chronic fatigue syndrome is a disorder defined by being extremely tired and fatigued which doesn’t go away with rest and which cannot be explained by underlying medical conditions.
What causes chronic fatigue syndrome?
The causes of chronic fatigue syndrome are not fully understood yet but there are a few factors which include psychological stress, viral infection and a combination of other factors. The most common causes of chronic fatigue are severe fatigue or tiredness, which may interfere with your daily routine or activities. Other causes may include:
- Not feeling fresh after a night’s sleep.
- Chronic insomnia
- Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea, parasomnias, etc
- Memory loss
- Reduced concentration
- Feeling light-headed, dizziness or faint when going from lying or seating to standing positions
- Muscle pain
- Consistent headaches
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome is a common problem which affects the digestive system.
You’ll get common symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or diarrhoea, excess gas, etc. These tend to come and go but it can last for weeks and months on end.
What causes Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS)?
The exact cause of irritable bowel syndrome is currently unknown.
How is irritable bowel syndrome(IBS) treated?
Treatment of irritable(IBS) aims to relieve symptoms in order for you to live a normal life. Dr Muwanguzi may recommend the following:
- SSRI antidepressants and pain medication to help ease pain or bloating.
- Antispasmodic medications to help reduce abdominal cramping and pain.
- Bulk-forming laxatives to help relieve constipation.
- Antimotility medication to help reduce diarrhoea symptoms.
- Diet- if you have mild symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, it can be controlled by stress management and a change of diet and lifestyle. The diet will include:
- High gas foods like cabbage, raw fruits, broccoli, cauliflower and carbonated drinks
- Gluten food like wheat, barley, rye which is aimed to improve diarrhoea symptoms.
Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
Hypertension is normally called high blood pressure but in the medical field, it is commonly known as hypertension.
What causes high blood pressure/hypertension?
Hypertension rarely causes visible symptoms until some significant event happens such as a heart attack or stroke. When your high blood pressure is high, some people may experience headaches, tiredness, your vision can be blurry. Experience hearing heart beating, especially in the nighttime can be a sign.
How is hypertension/high blood pressure treated?
With high blood pressure treatment, one of the main important things is to make lifestyle changes like:
- Cutting your salt intake
- Having a low-fat diet which includes a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- An active lifestyle
- Low intake of alcohol
- Drink less caffeinated drinks
Medicinal treatment may include:
- ACE inhibitors- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors reduce blood pressure by relaxing your blood vessels
- Angiotensin-2 receptor blockers(ARBs)- ARBs work in a similar way like ACE inhibitors. They’re often recommended if ACE inhibitors cause troublesome side effects.
Our Main Services
- IV Vitamin infusions
- Routine medical check-up
- Complete medical workup
- Wound care
- Respiratory wellness
- Weight loss management
- Chronic disease management
- Chronic pain management
Due to the pandemic, nature of the virus attacking your body system, and the stress we undergo through our daily modern lives; we have found that a lot of people are looking for ways to boost their energy, improve their immune system, hydrate, etc. IV Vitamins has become the best way to transfer vitamins and nutrients directly to your bloodstream.
What is an IV Vitamin Drip Therapy or Vitamin Drip infusion therapy?
Intravenous vitamin therapy is one of the fastest ways to administer nutrients and hydration to your body through a needle inserted in your veins. This method is preferred because the nutrients enter your bloodstream directly through the veins to your organs and it’s easily absorbed.
What illnesses does IV Vitamin Therapy treat and who is it for?
When IV Vitamin therapy started it was originally used in hospitals to help patients who can’t take medicine orally and those that lack nutrients in their system.
But today, in our modern world it is used to boost one’s wellness and energy levels.
All our drips are customized to suit a client’s needs and our prices include consultation fees(you cover what medical aid won’t cover).
Here’s a list of IV Vitamin Drips you can get at Primed Medcentre:
- Fitness and workout recovery
Vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, trace minerals, thiamine, B6, B12, B complex
- Drug and alcohol detox remedy
Vibranium drip followed by ten sessions of NAD+ IV protocol.
- Liver and gall bladder detox- R1,200
Vitamin C, MIC, zinc, selenium, NAC, Thiamine, B complex, B6, methylB12, glutathione).
- Iron Infusion Therapy (Monofer or Ferinject or Venofer).
- Chemoradiation damage recovery-R1,200
Vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, selenium, trace minerals, thiamine, B6, Methylb12, glutathione.
- Skin health/acne/dandruff remedy- R1,200
Vitamin C, zinc, selenium, trace minerals, B complex, glutathione
- Migraines and chronic headaches therapy- R990
Vitamin C, magnesium, thiamine, B6, B12, B complex, zinc, taurine
What is the process of IV Vitamin therapy?
IV Vitamin therapy process includes. having a needle inserted in your arm or somewhere where veins can easily be located. There will be a bit of discomfort, similar to being pinched when the needle gets inserted.
Before you get treated, all your medical records will be observed and sometimes it might be needed to take a blood test to ensure the right amount of nutrients are administered.
When you finish with your consultation, you will proceed to the IV Vitamin Therapy room where you will be seated on a comfortable recliner chair to start your treatment.
A doctor or qualified nurse will locate your vein, disinfect the area, and insert an IV catheter. The procedure takes about 15-45 minutes after everything is in place, it all depends on the treatment chosen. As the vitamins are infused, all you do is sit and relax.
How many different kinds of drips are there?
There are 2 different kinds of drips, a push drip, and an IV drip.
The difference is the duration of the treatment and the amount of fluid injected.
What type of ingredients are used in IV Vitamin Therapy?
The most common is Vitamin C, B vitamins, magnesium, calcium, and zinc.
What are the benefits of IV Vitamin Therapy?
The benefits of IV Vitamin therapy: There are quite a few benefits but we will mention just 5 to give you an overall view.
- Stronger immune system.
- Improved complexion.
- Better sleep.
- More energy.
- Stronger immune system. Your overall wellness increases and to treat acute and chronic conditions.
How long does the therapy treatment effect last and when does the effect start?
Our therapy treatment effect typically lasts up to 2 weeks and can be felt almost immediately or within 12-24 hours after being administered.
But this will depend on the individual, their state of health, age, the drip that you chose.
Is IV Therapy Safe?
IV Therapy is safe, it is a similar method which is used in hospitals; the key differences here are the ingredients of the drip and the therapy being performed comfortably.
This is an alternative method of immune-boosting and supplying the right amount of nutrients most quickly and effectively. For those with medical conditions, it is advisable to consult with a doctor first to avoid complications.
For more information and consultation, please contact Primed Medcentre at:
Address: Bryanston Ridge Office Park
Cnr 13 Bruton Road And main road Bryanston
Contact number: 010 824 0188